First, the Center is happy to announce the winners of three Center awards at the close of this academic year to three students in recognition of their excellent progress in their programs of study. We want to extend our congratulations to:
- Callie Rhoades, Society of Friends of Korean Studies 2020 award.
- Callie is an East Asian Language and Culture major with a focus on Korean Language studies.
- Thomas Boulay, Undergraduate Award for Chinese Studies 2020 award.
- Thomas is an East Asian Language and Culture major with a focus in Chinese.
- Courtney Broadnax, Alpine Award 2020 award.
- Courtney is an International Studies and Fashion Design major.
Center Travel Awards and COVID 19
As we all know all too well by now, Spring Semester has ended up far differently than any of us imagined back in late-August when the 2020-21 school year started. All of the Center’s planned events that were scheduled to resume after Spring Break had to be canceled, and those cancellations have had to be extended into activities planned for the Summer. These cancellations also hit the vast majority of the faculty and students who applied for and received funding from the Center’s Travel Grant competition. Only two of the nine students who received funding were able to participate in their planned conferences. None of the eight faculty who applied were able to participate in the conferences they had planned on. The Center will carry forward all of the awards made that were unable to be used to the next academic year. We will work with each awardee to determine their best use of these awards.